SWS sponsors water media and related workshops throughout the year. Recognized artists from around the nation are brought to Reno to teach classes, which are available to members and non-members. Fees are very reasonable. Registrations for each workshop opens three months prior to the workshop. At that time the cost of the workshop is established and announced in our monthly newsletter. Signups open on the day designated in the announcement.
For more information, please call Linda Parisi at 360-589-9330 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org. To register, please see Workshop Fees and Procedures on this page.
Registration opens for Michael Holter on February 1, 2018.
May 9 – May 11, 2018
Demo on May 12, 2018
Texas artist, Michael Holter works in both watercolor and oil. Michael's work has received numerous awards and recognition and can be found in private and corporate collections in the US and several foreign countries. His current work in two categories: watercolor figurative and oil landscapes (both plein air and studio). Although Michael has been painting most of his life, his work experience spans a wide range of creative endeavors, from art teacher, creative director and businessman in fine art and commercial art. Michael has owned and operated two galleries. Michael holds a Bachelor's Degree in Art Education and an MA in Visual Communication
This workshop will focus on the use of watercolor to paint exciting paintings of people and places. You will explore the use of light and shadow to create interesting compositions and achieve dynamic results.
Michael will demonstrate his approach to creating his award-winning paintings and also show you several high-speed video demonstrations.
Many watercolorists have an aversion to painting people and with that in mind, special attention will be paid to the steps Michael uses to paint his award-winning figurative paintings. He will break down the process, from how to use the camera to capture exciting painting subjects, to adding sparkle to the finished piece.
And by the end of the workshop you will feel confident that you can complete successful paintings.
Website for further information: www.michaelholter.com
Registration Opens May 1, 2018
Member Fee: $310 with deposit $170
Non-member fee: $360 with deposit $200
About the Artist:
Author of three North Light Books, Watercolor Unleashed (2013), Discover Oil Painting (2016), and
Brilliant Color (oil & acrylic – 2009), please three Watercolor Unleashed videos, two videos and four Oil Painting Unleased videos, Julie has taught watercolor and oil classes for over 30 years. While glowing, brilliant color in a format of painterly realism is her personal painting objective, her goal when teaching is to assist in the search for the individual artistic personality of each student, leaning heavily on the fundamentals of art as the gateway to fulfilling personal expression and intuitive painting. "We all have a glowing, yet elusive, mental and emotional visualization of what we long to express in paint, she says. Just remember that your skills must catch up with that vision!" Julie presents the necessary "nuts and bolts" material in a logical, practical manner along with large doses of encouragement, with emphasis on personal taste and goals.
About the workshop:
Learn how to make water look wet, reflective and splashy! With a stunning waterfall or intimate woodsy creek as your model, study watercolor in motion and glassy reflection. Painting water color that looks wet requires some basic knowledge of the dynamics of how water moves and how objects are reflected in its mirror surface. Techniques will be demonstrated to address the various puzzles which the artist is faced when painting this stunning, fascinating and challenging subject.
Reference photos will be provided, or you may use your own.
Studio lessons will focus on:
- Cascading water – the "anatomy" of a waterfall
- Negative painting lessons for the watercolorist
- Color theory, simplified (as needed or requested)
There will be demos, instruction at all levels, critique and lots of painting time. Class time will be structured, yet open enough to accommodate the artistic spirit within all of us all. All levels are welcome and encouraged to attend. The only prerequisite is an attitude of joy in the act of painting!
WORKSHOP FEES & PROCEDURES
1. The deposit must be paid in order to reserve a seat. Because we need to make a commitment to our presenters 30 days prior to the workshop, if you wait until after 30 days prior to the workshop, it could be filled or cancelled. Signups are taken first-come first-served and workshops are limited to 20 attendees. Make checks payable to SWS & send to Treasurer, Sierra Watercolor Society, PO Box 70564 Reno NV 89570 to reserve your space. Include your mailing address, email, and phone number. Gina Lijoi will send out the supply list about three weeks before the workshop.
2. While non-members are charged a higher fee for our workshops, for $30 you may choose to become a member thirty days prior to the opening of registration. You would then be eligible for the member rates for this and all current year workshops.
3. Workshops must be paid in full 30 days prior to the first session.
4. Up until 30 days prior to a workshop, if a member or non-member must cancel his reservation, he will be refunded his deposit. After that time, monies paid will be refunded only if the organization has a waiting list for that particular workshop and is subsequently able to sell the seat. If no waiting list exists, the person wishing to cancel would then have the option of providing his own replacement. If this occurs, a refund will be issued.
5. All workshops are held at Temple Sinai, 3405 Gulling Rd., Reno NV 89503, from 9 to 4 each day.
The Three Visitors
Below Midgley Bridge
Impatiens by the Creek